[opeverkosto] Ville Karavirta väittelee 14.12

Kirjoittajan mukaan: Lauri Malmi <lma_at_cs.hut.fi>
Päiväyksen mukaan: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:18:01 +0200

Tiedoksi:

TkL Ville Karavirta, joka on työskennellyt TKK:n
tietotekniikan laitoksella SVG-tutkimusryhmässä,
väittelee
maanantaina 14.12 klo 12 TKK:n TuAs-talon salissa AS1.

Työn otsikko:

        Facilitating Algorithm Visualization Creation and Adoption in Education

Tiivistelmä

The research question of this thesis is: How can
we develop algorithm animations (AA) and AA
systems further to
better facilitate the creation and adoption of AA in education?

The motivation for tackling this issue is that
algorithm animation has not been widely used in
teaching computer
science. One of the main reasons for not taking
full advantage of AA in teaching is the lack of
time on behalf of the
instructors. Furthermore, there is a shortage of
ready-made, good quality algorithm visualizations.
The main contributions are as follows:

* Effortless Creation of Algorithm Animation. We
define a Taxonomy of Effortless Creation of
Algorithm
Animations. In addition, we introduce a new
approach for teachers to create animations by
allowing effortless
on-the-fly creation of algorithm animations by
applying visual algorithm simulation through a
simple user
interface.

* Proposed Standard for Algorithm Animation
language. We define a Taxonomy of Algorithm
Animation
Languages to help comparing the different AA
languages. The taxonomy and work by an
international
working group is used to define a new algorithm
animation language, eXtensible Algorithm Animation
Language, XAAL.

* Applications of XAAL in education. We provide
two different processing approaches for using and
producing XAAL animations with existing algorithm
animation systems. In addition, we have a
framework
aiding in this integration as well as prototype
implementations of the processes. Furthermore, we
provide a
novel solution to the problem of seamlessly
integrating algorithm animations with hypertext.
In our approach,
the algorithm animation viewer is implemented
purely with JavaScript and HTML. Finally, we
introduce a
processing model to easily produce lecture slides
for a common presentation tool of XAAL animations.

Työn valvoja: prof. Lauri Malmi
Ohjaaja: dos. Ari Korhonen

Vastaväittäjä toimii prof. Susan Rodger, Duke University, USA.

Tervetuloa kuuntelemaan.

Lauri Malmi

--
Lauri Malmi, professori
Teknillinen korkeakoulu,  Tietotekniikan laitos